Is anybody out there?

Sunday, October 2, 2011

Change can be scary....

But it can also be the best thing in life! I have had so many changes in my life and I can pinpoint the moment I began to toy with the idea of REALLY making a change. It was a spring evening up in Princeton, MA on the sidelines of the soccer field. I was chatting with my son's soccer coach - who incidentally has become one of my best friends - and he said to me "reinvent yourself. I love reinventing myself. I've done it a bunch of times." I thought he was nuts!

We'd been talking about all of the chaos and negativity in my life, especially where my career was concerned, and he said that like it was the easiest thing in the world. That moment stuck with me and I realized that I'd already been doing that for a while, but was still hanging on to the thing that made me most unhappy and I was doing so for others; for my family, for my students; for their parents; for the love of my alma mater. When had I stopped taking into consideration what was best for me? Why was I not even on the bottom of the list but not even on my own radar???

That night began what would be the summer that changed my life. I spent the summer working w/coach and loving every minute of it! I remembered what it felt like to be happy again. I enjoyed all of the ripple effect of that change - from my relationship with my children to my husband and I enjoying life together again - the transformation had be constantly aware of the joys of life.

After returning to my full time job for three days, I realized without a doubt that it was the cause of all of my troubles and stress. I also realized for the first time that I deserved better; my family deserved better. So I quit. I found a better job and am loving it. It is amazing how my life has become something that I feel blessed to be a part of again. The one change has domino-ed into many small changes. All have resulted in me remembering what my soul needs to be truly happy!

It all began with a simple yet profound encouragement from a friend for whom I will always be greatful - "reinvent yourself."

I highly recommend it to everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment