Is anybody out there?

Thursday, January 20, 2011

HEARTS...they're a muscle. work them!!

Last Friday I got some terrible news. I told you ladies that my dad had a major heart attack two years ago and made it through...thank god. Friday he went to his cardiologist because his ankles have been swelling. Well, his heart is begining to fail him. He has the start of congestive heart failure. He is 54 years old! He needs to lose 60 lbs in the next 6 months to take some of the stress off the heart. After the attack he exercised for like two weeks then quit. NOT COOL. He needs to make the heart stronger by cardio exercise. Life depends on your body Litterally!!

The point is that even if we only work out to look good we are making every part of our bodies stronger. And even if we don't need to lose weight we still need to work our hearts. The heart is a muscle. The rule about muscles is if you don't use them they atrophy(waste away). This is especially true about hearts...So all the more reason to get off our butts and move.

4 comments:

  1. Oh Molly, I'm sorry to hear about your Dad. Are you too near each other? Can you walk with him to jump start his efforts? If not, maybe you can get him going on line, like we do for each other?

    What a really thought provoking sentiment. I am reminded that my efforts were not just superficial but I have more at stake if only to be a happier, healthier Mom for my kids.

    Tomorrow, I will find a way....ugh, perhaps I'll dust of Jillian again! :) Thanks for the kick in the butt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Christine. Yes I live very near my parents. I can walk to his house in about 8 minutes. They are pretty much on the beach so as soon as this monsoon end(weather man claims a dry up tomorrow)I am going to ask him to walk on the beach with me. He has been treadmilling it for now. He has lose 8 pounds since last Friday...the day he found out! My siblings and I are going over for dinner Sunday. Maybe we can take a family walk to the beach.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's great Molly. Funny, you're under the rainy weather and we're having the most snow we've had in years. This will be a good jump start for both of you. Are the kids cooking tomorrow? Will the focus be on healthy food as well as exercise? I'd kill to live near the water. Walking along the beach is one of the two places I've ever really felt peace in my life. Suck some of that gorgeous atmosphere for me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well it poured down rain yesterday and we were not able to walk on the beach. But we cooked a nice healthy dinner for my parents.

    ReplyDelete