Is anybody out there?

Saturday, January 23, 2010

Day 25 - Coming out of the fog and into the wool!

Well, here it is at 10:30 pm and I although my ears feel like they need to pop and my wrists and hands still hurt, and the headache is still quietly hanging around, I feel a little better! It's funny really. I really felt like I was quite possibly going to die today as I spent the day over the new sewing machine finishing Meag's dress. I didn't realize it would be so hard to make the dress, after all, I'd sewn for years when the kids were younger. But making little clothes is easier than teenage dresses. I felt bad that the finishing wasn't nearly as neat and clean as it should be but when all was said and done, the dress looked adorable on her! She's so beautiful! I think that I can do better next time! Amazing that I can actually think that I'll try this again! Amazing, but there's something so wonderfully grounding about making something practical and lovely for someone you love. It makes me feel whole, connected to a past I don't know, to people whom I wish I'd paid more attention to. Does that make sense? I am alone in this?

I don't think that I am. I get that same peace and joy from knitting. I 'feel' more connected with each stitch I make. I 'feel' love. I cannot explain it any other way. It is funny that I this is where I feel complete. I guess this is partly why I am a process knitter. You know, the kid who loves the act of knitting and crafting a garment more than the actual finishing and wearing it! I never want it to end so I've got lots of things started and not as many finished!

I am sure that tomorrow I will be feeling much better and that I am going to find time to relax and enjoy the glorious feel of merino in my fingers. I am also going to remember that 16 years ago tomorrow was one of the three best days of my life! My dear baby boy was born and will turn legal driving age tomorrow! Crazy! How could time have gone so fast? Life has been good.

No comments:

Post a Comment