Is anybody out there?

Monday, January 4, 2010

Day 8 (am) - The Toe-Up experiment

So, feeling very accomplished these days, I decided to be brave. I bought a book of Toe-Up sock patterns recently. I was totally swayed by the pretty pictures and colors! They see me coming a mile away and I am a complete sucker for the pretty! Anyway, I went into the newly organized office/craft room and retrieved the blue & green sock yarn that 9 short month ago, when Gus cam to live with us, had been ripped into and was a knotty, tangled mess! I had a few hours before bed and figured, what better way to spend my last few hours of vacation: untangling pretty yarn while watching mindless TV. All worked well and though it was tough, I was tougher and by 11:00pm, I had one big beautiful ball of yarn! I win!

That brings me to this morning. Now I'd read up on this new "toe-up" technique, and one thing that was immediately different from the way I'm used to doing socks is that you have to split your ball of yarn into two equal parts. Okay. I can now do this because I've got my nice new ball winder and my old food scale.

I first weighed the big ball and found it to be around 4 ounces. Easy enough. I hooked the end of the yarn on the winder and began that magic turning of the handle that produces tidy little packs of yarn. Very easy. Every once in a while I weighed the original ball and when it got to around two ounces, I cut the yarn and then wound the next ball. Pictures speak volumes so I will post them later and let you be the judge!


Lesson: Buy a new digital scale that is accurate!

No comments:

Post a Comment