Is anybody out there?

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Day 37 - Kitting, cooking, baking and loving every minute of it....who wants to clean?

So, today was a REALLY productive day! Here's the rundown. I joined a new group on Ravely for writers and was so inspired by the prospect that I took the weekly assignment and wrote a song. Now it's not perfect or even finished but it's on its way. This is really the first time I'll willingly share my music with others. We'll see where it goes - vulnerability is really hard, but necessary for growth.

So after much deliberating, I picked out recipes for dinner tonight. I began prepping as Meag got ready for skating lessons only to find out that I was missing ingredients again! This time for the entre, the back-up entre and the dessert! Not to be deterred or derailed, I pressed on and changed gears. I ran to the local Super-Walmart and found everything I needed for both meals. Look at me planning ahead! I truly am a work in progress! Sadly, the 25 minute wait in line to check out made it really hard to keep my cool! By the time I got home, I had just enough time to bring the groceries in, throw them on the counter and run out again to take Meag to the rink.

Okay, so I regrouped and drove right back home to make the cake. Sean was all geared up to help! Have I said that I've got awesome kids? Well, I do! I don't know of many others who can say "yup, my 16 year old son offered to help in the kitchen!" We got all of the ingredients out, or rather, moved them around so we could at least see them in the mess of groceries and began. I sprayed the new pretty bundt pan, creamed the softened butter, sugar and eggs...WAIT, What????? Softened butter????? Where'd that come from? So into the microwave it went for too long and into the mixer. Sean made the Earl-Grey tea and let that steep and while that was working, I gave him instructions as to how to melt the chocolate over the make-shift double boiler and he happily set about the task. I even explained to him that he'd never want to sneak a bite of that chocolate as it's completely unsweetened and totally gross!

I finished mixing the butter, sugar and eggs and realized that I needed that chocolate that wasn't ready yet. I got the dry ingredients ready and then added, everything else, threw it in the pan. I threw the pan in the oven and ran back out to the rink to pick Meag up. She'd made plans to have friends over in less than an hour and then they were going to the movies!

When we returned, I began the Julia Child's dinner I'd watched her cook on tv that looked so delicious. It really was just burgers and rice but done so differently. I thought it would be safe to begin my new cooking adventure with this meal. I began the soubise and although it was over cooked a bit, it was pretty good. I cooked the most yummy burgers I'd ever had although they sound better as "Biftek hache, saute nature!" The burgers were served over the rice and I even made a mustard and herb sauce to pour over the top!

I actually deglazed a pan for the first time in my life! Wahoo! I'm really cooking now! Tomorrow, Sean's having his new friends over for the first time and I'm cooking some home made bread, barbeque ribs and another Earl-Grey-Chocolate cake. I'll serve it with the spinach risotto and hopefully they'll eat well and be happy.

And tonight, I will sit here and knit and relax and be happy!

2 comments:

  1. wow, this sounds wonderful! I think I may need the recipe for Earl Gray Chocolate Cake :)

    I hear you about the vulnerability thing. It's really hard to write personal stuff full of emotion and go public with it. I can't wait to hear you song <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can find the recipe at myrecipes.com. If you have trouble let me know and I'll send you a link. It's so worth it. Today was crazed and I didn't get to work on the song at all. Hopefully tomorrow will be the day! I can't really put it off!

    ReplyDelete