Is anybody out there?

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Day 39 - Game Day - precious time together

So yesterday was a great day of fun games at my brother's house. Dan and I went with the kids and John and Glo and the girls were there as was Grandma and Jill's boyfriend. It was amazing to see that here were were two families with teenagers and college students enjoying each other's company all day and evening. We played lots of new (to us) board games, had a lovely dinner, and played some more. It was great!

My brother has loved board games as far back as I can remember and he's got quite the collection now. I'm not talking about Monopoly or Life, but games of intrigue, strategy, and thoughtful plotting against your opponents! It's really quite fun! My family has become hooked on several of these and it really nice to have something that brings us together that is not electronic! I've even found some of these games online so I can try to get better at them before the next beating; I mean gathering!

On another note, today is officially the last day of vacation and that makes me very sad. A friend of mine joked about my week of cooking, knitting and baking and said "the women's movement wants a word with me." (or something to that effect!) The truth of the matter is, of all the jobs I have had, I love this one the most! I get the most fulfillment out of doing and caring for my family. Does that make me weird? Does it make me some kind of sub-par female? I don't believe it does. There are plenty of us out there who prefer that role to those we've had to take to make ends meet or to try to secure our future financial status, or even our children's' futures.

I was lucky enough to find a career that allows me to explore and submerse myself in something I'm passionate about (music), but truthfully, I get more out of being a good mom and wife. (and no, Tim, I am not a Stepford or my house would be clean and tidy!)

So although tomorrow I will go back to work and try to teach and inspire my students, and my family life will become confused and chaotic with skating, soccer and a number of other things interfering with the day, today I will embrace this last day of precious time and cook a comforting meal, bake and awesome bread, make some rich and decadent dessert and find time to knit and snuggle my family!

No comments:

Post a Comment