Is anybody out there?

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Good Golly Miss Molly!

Okay, so here's the deal. You had a bad day(s). You're not motivated to move. You live on guilt.

I've lived (and still do) in all of those places. I have a lot of other things going on, like a forced career change by my employers and focusing on all of this serves several purposes. It makes me take an honest, albeit scary, look at myself. It is making me value myself even when others don't. My own mother (whom I love dearly) told me I "used to be so pretty when I wasn't so chunky!" Normally, I'd use that kind of junk as an excuse to forget about it "my own mother doesn't love me" crap. I'm just so tired of others having control of my life that I've decided to take it back for once! I told Mom that I really have not a care in the world what she or anyone else thinks about my body. Mine is the only opinion I choose to care about!

So, here's where my drive is coming from. I have learned over the years, that I LOVE to learn! So I'm treating this like research. I've downloaded several cool apps to my iPhone to track calories and exercise. I've settled on one (My Fitness Pal) as I couldn't keep up w/logging in 3 different places! So I record every shred of food that goes in and every exercise calorie burned.

When I started the daily walking, I used my Nike+ system to track my time, mileage and caloric burn. This thing is definitely worth the investment if you like to see the numbers like I do! At the same time I listened to my favorite dance songs for really fast, strong beats to keep my moving - even enjoying the walks! After 10 days, I downloaded an audio book version of a novel I've always wished I'd read (Jane Eyre) and I love it! That is making my daily walk totally awesome. Everyday I'm dying to know what's going to happen next so I have to walk. In fact, the last 4 walks have been my longest route (2.85 miles) just so I could listen longer!

At first I felt selfish using all of that time on me but you know what? Not anymore! Every other minute of my day goes to my kids and family or to my job so screw it! I'm taking some time back for me.

As for the guilt; I'm an Irish-Catholic, youngest of 9, girl. I know all about guilt. It's where I grew up! I've recently discovered though that it's a big fat (pun intended) waste of my time! And your too. You give, give , give to others so why not give a little attention to yourself Molly? You so deserve it! I won't lie and say this is easy. The first 3-5 days of daily walking were really rough. But I know this about myself: it's got to be all or nothing. That's the way I function. I refuse to let it fall to nothing so I have to go everyday. And truly now, I'm enjoying it! And you can too! I won't go for a leisurely walk though, I mapped out 8 different length routes and walk each one as hard and fast as I can. (That way I can track improvement and it feels great!)

You can do this and will be glad you did. Start today! Go out and walk for 20 minutes and take the first and last 5 easy. Push hard for the middle and listen to something you love! Then report back! I'll check in tonight!

Good luck!

PS. I think we should all try to check in daily incase one of us needs the others. I'm sorry I've not checked in for a couple of days. I won't let that happen again! :)

1 comment:

  1. Well done Christine!
    I will check the blog everyday! SO no worries

    ReplyDelete